Friday 24 February 2012

Well wishes from Mike V



Who the hell is Mike V? your probably saying... and you would be right to do so because unless you've spent anytime in the world of skateboarding you wouldn't really know.

Mike Vallely is probably one of the most enduring characters in the world of professional skateboarding. I grew up skateboarding, and first encountered Mike V's skating in early Bones Brigade videos in the late eighties, and I watched through the nineties as he became known for his big and burly approach to skating, going bigger and faster and quite often falling harder than everyone else. The thing that truly sets him apart from everyone else is his unique style and his no-compromise approach to life.

... so whys he sending me skateboards? Well, I was completely unaware, but a friend of mine had been in contact with Mike via email and had mentioned my illness and had pointed him towards this blog. Mike read this blog and requested my details... a few weeks later a package arrives containing a skateboard deck from Mike's new company Elephant Skateboards signed with his trade mark slogan "Never Give Up".

I was blown away!.. and still am.

It's also so very cool that I've had lots of amazing things like this arranged by such good friends... it's done more than just raise spirits I can tell you.

Another awesome get well wish came from old school Cornish punksters "The Surgeons". A good friend of mine has recently become their bassist. I received a CD and set list for one of their recent gigs which was signed by the band with the message... "Motley who?", made me laugh!

I'm in for a mini bought of Chemo on Monday with the 7 week program of RT beginning on Wednesday. I really don't feel like I've got over the last lot of chemo, and have been struggling with a weird itching and swelling in my feet and ankles. All the same, I feel keen to crack on and have been thinking of different ways of breaking up the 7 week period so that It will pass as quickly as possible. The big hope is that I can get through this phase and recover as quickly as possible so that life can continue as normal... or as near as damn it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ciaran,

    A guy I work with called Jody told me about your blog. I've had a read through and just wanted to wish you all the best.

    Sqz

    ReplyDelete