Friday 30 December 2011

A nice surprise...


Well... we all had an amazing Christmas. So nice to be in the new house, it was a mission, but we pulled it off. The kids loved Christmas day and I was so happy to be well enough to share it with them. We had a pretty quite day at home just myself, Bethan her mum and the kids. It was nice just to take things at a slower pace given how hectic the week or so running up to Christmas has been.

During the past week the kids have been off school and the weather hasn't been up to much so we've mostly just been pottering around the house and enjoying some really nice visits from friends and family. I've felt my strength return with each day and I'm welcoming the decline of the nasty cough I've had for the last few weeks. I've had both Flu and Nurovac vaccinations today, which is a relief. It's nice to have the extra protection especially at this time of year.

I was back for another 40mins of Diana Ross in the big white metal tube last Thursday for another MRI scan. The results of this scan will show the effect of the Chemo so far on the main tumor. We are set to discuss the results at our pre-chemo meeting with the oncologist next Wednesday. Fingers crossed the chemo is doing what it's supposed to and the suffering is worth while.

Many of you will know I love music. Many of you will also be aware of my love of 70's and 80's heavy metal bands. I think we all have a fondness for the music that we first came in contact with, the magical moment when you hear a song or a type of music and it becomes yours.

When I was ten I was given a stack of Lp's by a relative. These twenty or so records included bands such as Kiss, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Thin Lizzy and AcDc. I would listen to these albums daily on an old record player that had been handed down to me from my uncle. It was at this point that my musical taste would be forever biased.

Over the years I have explored all different types of music, but in a strange and magnetic way I always return to the same genre. It's this music that has a life and energy thats hard to describe, music that makes you feel a certain way... alive!

Anyway... less of me trying to preach the merits of heavy metal. I received a package in the post this morning, my first thought was "nice... late xmas present!". I tore open the white jiffy bag to reveal a Motley Crue CD, a ragged piece of dirty paper and an envelope. Now... for those who don't know who Motley Crue are, aside from being one of the worlds most famous rock bands with a career that runs from the early eighties to present day, they are also the band that my dad would frequently point out wore more make up and hairspray than girls on the Boots cosmetics counter!

I opened the envelope, there was a "get well soon" card with a message and four signatures. The dirty piece of paper turned out to be the set list from the stage of the recent Motley Crue show in London. The slip of paper in the back of the packet read, "Hi there, Motley Crue wanted you to have this CD and card with their best wishes". My mind quickly flashed to a conversation I had had with my friend Mark. Mark does a lot of reviews and interviews for rock websites and magazines. He had told me to keep an eye on the post, following a conversation he'd had with Nikki Sixx the bass player for Motley Crue during a recent interview. Mark had mentioned to Mr Sixx that his friend was ill, he asked for my address which Mark had given him along with the address to this blog. I had kind of buried the conversation so as not to get my hopes up to the point where I'd forgotten all about it... but sure enough he came through!

In my eyes its and amazing two part gesture. One from the rock legend that doesn't know me from Adam taking the time to do something like this, and another from a very caring friend who knows how much this means to me.

Thanks Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment