Thursday 25 October 2012

The tooth fairy...

The next day I was sent off to be knocked out for the removal of my upper wisdom teeth. It was decided that due to the tiny distance that I could open my mouth I needed to have a breathing pipe inserted into my throat while I was still conscious Once they were happy that I was breathing okay, the full dose of anesthetic could be given and I'll be out like a light and wheeled off to theater.

It was made clear that this procedure is very uncomfortable, but not to worry as they were going to 'numb me up'. After being prepped with needles and lines I was given several cups of anesthetic jelly mouthwash to gargle. I was then give an intravenous shot of something that was described as "like a G&T" and they began.

I was asked to relax as they the three masked figures hovered above me. A metal pipe was put into my mouth and was gradually pushed towards the back of my throat. All of a sudden I couldn't breath and I started to gag. I felt my eyes widen as the sensation of choking and suffocation followed by panic started to over take me. I grabbed out in desperation with a hand landed firmly on the throat of the person on my right side. The last thing I heard was someone shouting "put him out, put him out!" and I slipped under feeling the return of my breath gently moving up and down the back of my throat. When I woke I felt double grumpy, apparently a common traight when it comes to anesthisia. If you go in bad you come out bad, and vice versa. I was wheeled of to the ward to recover.

Once at home I felt dramatically different. The pain in face had halved and I was back home to B and the kids, this was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment