Thursday 15 December 2011

The chemo tree...

It's funny being hooked up to and IV drip, painless but annoying. The way always seems to have you tangled up with IV lines and static objects while you try and negotiate the path way to the toilet and back becomes a bit of a chore to say the least. It's only for a short time though, I've done the main body of it, as I sit writing this I'm on the final hydration phase of the two chemo drugs that have take the last 12 hours to drip their way into my system. Im loaded up on these weird steroids that have my heart rate going through the roof and are keeping my from anything near quality sleep. Its just gone 4am and I've been up a while just pottering about trying not to disturbed "the league". Im just writing, reading and trying to keep my head away from the thought of he underlying nausea that will now be present for the next week our so.

I'm due to be sent home early tomorrow morning with mobile pump again. Feeling a bit more happy and confident about that now I know what it entails. On reflection I think I did things that effected my situation last time. It's hard to explain, but it's like I froze up, as the varying symtoms acumulated with each day i became fearful that what ever I did would increase the levels of illness. I stopped eating, drinking and just laid in bed for a good few days following inital part of the chemo recovery phase and I think this played big part in the problems followed and brought about my re-admission into hospital. So... with all this experience behind me I'm going to attempt a different approach once at home with the pump and try to live more like I was doing last week, eating and drinking well, up and out of bed and trying to maintain some sort of activity level even if just pottering about the house, whatever so long as I'm not spending days and nights laid in bed. That's not to say I'm not going to rest if my body is telling me to do so. I think you can go the other way and do too much quite easily. Even Thursday's trip to Truro had me lagging behind Bethan struggling to keep up in places. It's amazing on how many levels this treatment is having effect, but then I guess it's got to damage my system in order to get the job done.

I'm really looking forward to getting home tomorrow, both the kids break for the Christmas holidays at midday so it's going to be a great opportunity to spend the quality time with them that has been lacking in the past few weeks. With the house move on monday and Christmas looming at the end of the week it's going to be a busy one, but that's got to be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment