Friday 16 December 2011

Weird Beard!

So... Ive been cut loose from hospital this morning with my chemo pump, now neatly stowed away in my new "bum bag"... so cool! I don't want to put a hex on things, but I'm feeling pretty okay. The usual underlying nausea is present, but I feel way more comfortable than when I got out of hospital at the this point last time round. Aside from a little catch up nap from being awake a lot last night I've been up and about with the kids. We all had tea together and got on with the usual family evening stuff. It was nice to feel this sense of normality again that it's so easy to take for granted.

I've spoken already about the acute physical changes that the treatment is bringing about. Well... in what feels like some kind of reverse puberty, my beard has started to fall out! It's like I'm getting younger. Large patches on the sides of my chin are returning to smooth areas that resemble my pre teen years... or more the bit where your beard is forming but didnt quite all join up, very strange indeed. Eyebrows still seem intact at this point, which is good, but I can't help feeling thier next!

It gets me down to a certain degree, and I keep having to remind myself that this is just a bridge I have to cross to get this done and that things could always be way worse. Yet as I sit here writing this several beard hairs have fallen onto then screen of my iPad, just as a reminder I guess that the second run is well underway.

It's been amazing to be back home, and with so much great stuff to look forward too in the coming weeks, I'm really hoping that this round is a lot easier to deal with than the first one. Good that this round marks the half way point of "the big four" of my chemo treatments before we get into the radiotherapy stuff. As one of my freinds stated at the very beginning of this "time only moves forward", it's a nice thought to hold onto when your in this position.

The kids are worn out and are very glad to have finished school for Christmas today, I think they both need a good break, and lots of mum and dad time. Something I'm really looking forward too as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment