Wednesday 4 January 2012

Scan Result and Round 3...

Okay... first things first. I had a meeting with the oncologist this morning to discuss the next round of Chemo (which will commence at 8pm tonight) and the results of last Thursdays MRI scan.

I'll be honest, I'd managed to set aside worry of the scan results. While we knew the lump on my neck had reduced dramatically over the first two rounds of Chemo. The effect on the primary tumor site was at this stage unknown. Sitting in the waiting room at the Sunrise Center I couldn't help contemplating the what ifs and maybes. We were told to wait in a small side room for Dr Collinson to arrive, which he did a few minutes later. Dr Collinson is a very gentle well spoken man, but someone who is very direct and straight to the point. There's no sugar coating or frilly edges to bad news delivered by this man. For me though there was only good news on todays agenda. The scan results have shown a two thirds reduction in both the cancer sites. To clarify (and i had to because I couldn't believe it)... thats only a third left!

I'm in Lowan ward at 8pm this evening and it feels good to be going into the third of the big four chemo treatments with this knowledge. Dr Collinson seemed enthused with the results and was happy that the side effects during round two had lessened. I just hope that it continues in this way as it feels like a huge leap in the right direction.

We also had a chat about the radio therapy, which will start in February. As I said before, no sugar coating. He made it quite clear that things will not be easy during this time as the treatment intensifies. I guess i'll cross that bridge when I get to it. One of the things they mentioned was the trouble patients put themselves in by not using their feeding tubes early enough in the treatment. He said that some patients see using the tube as "giving in" and result in further complications through lack of nutrients. I said I'd be disappointed if i didn't use it! So far I've invested so much time and energy looking after the awkward and uncomfortable piece of high maintenance medical apparatus. I'd be upset if its presence was redundant through the final leg of the treatment, but the way they were talking today that almost certainly wont be the case.

Anyway... I'm off to ready the essentials for my two night stay in hospital. Clothes, toothbrush, Mountain Bike/Surfing Magazines, Books (thanks Dave!) Ipad, Seabands and bumbag to put the mobile pump in when they cut me loose on Friday morning.

Peace. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment