Saturday 24 December 2011

Sea what?

Im sure I dont have to explain what nausea feels like,everyone will have had expeirienced it at some point. Aside from the extreme fatigue it's the dominant feature of the treatment. I've never been one to seek out alternatively or complementary medicine... never really had to before. The nausea that accompanies the treatment is so powerful that I started to look into other ways to combat it aside from the high doses of anti sickness medication. The sickness meds work up to a point, but there are just those times where I feel like I need a bit extra in order to cope, a back up plan if you like.

There are masses of anti sickness remmidies out there ranging from herbal concoctions to simplifying what you eat the way you plan your meals. One of the more interesting and perhaps 'kooky' ideas are are product called SEABANDS. They are a narrow sweatband worn around both wrists. Each band holds a small plastic ball that when positioned correctly presses on an acupuncture point on the inside of each wrist. These bands were originally designed for sufferers of travel and morning sickness, but I'd read that a few people had had sucsess when using them through thier Chemo treatment as an anti sickness measure.

It's been interesting thorough this second round how the experience of the first round has taught me so much about what to do and what not to do. What I need and what I most certainly don't... so, thanks to the mighty Amazon my Seabands arrive in the post. All I can say is so far so good. I'm still taking my sickness meds like clockwork, but in the last 24hrs I've not experienced any additional feelings of sickness since wearing the bands. I'm coming towards the end of the bad week that follows the treatment so is difficult to be 100% sure and there's always the placebo effect, but I think they are a worthy addition to my arsenal of anti sickness precautions for next time, even if I do look like and 80's aerobics instructor!

In addition to this, I got my MRI scan date through yesterday. Next Thursday will give us the first good look at how the treatment is progressing. I realised while opening this letter that this will be the first of many nerve wracking scans that I will have through the treatment and beyond over the next few years. I decided that it it's not something I can control, so I'm going to make a real effort to take it as it comes rather than spend all my time worring about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment