Wednesday 1 February 2012

And again...

I got back from hospital of friday afternoon after a massive amount of faffing about. There was some kind of audit going on that just seemed to be distracting everyone from doing what they needed to be doing. I guess I'm only seeing it from one side as all wanted do was get the hell out of there!

It had been yet another tuff couple of nights with no sleep due to the constant movement on the ward. It seemed that there were quite a few beds free and patients were being moved down from other wards to make space. This meant that there were patients on the ward that didnt have cancer. For example he guys next to me who had appeared during the night had lost his ear which had become infected and now smelt like strong cheese! Not the best when your fighting off heavy boughts of nausea.

Needless to say it was great to get home. I seemed to be allowed a days grace from the side effects of the chemo. Perhaps it was the blood transfusion, but the ill effects seemed to stay away for an extra day. It's also made a big difference not having the chest infection to battle with at the same time.

I think the worst part about this round is stuggling to eat. Everything tastes bad, leaves a bad taste and doesent sit right in my stomach. Its as though the food is a foreign body that is'nt meant to be in there. I've been making do eating the limited number of things that go in and stay down with least complaint. This means that once again ice lollies, warm chicken soup and cereals with a little milk are the staple.

I've been laid up in the spare room for pretty much the whole week this time. It's been painful hearing the kids come in from school and not having the energy to even shout "hello". Im feeling more like a prisoner than ever before at the moment. A prisoner in this room, but also a prisoner locked inside this constantly sick body. "Sick and tired" is my new tag for the after state that chemo leaves you in, because that's all I seem to be of late... Sick and tired.


I am slightly concerned that the anti sickness meds that are usually so reliable at keepin the actual sickness away seem to have lost thier effectiveness this round as I've been sick most days this week. I think that either my body is getting used to the meds or the accumulative strength of the chemo is taking hold... Just hoping it doesent get any worse. I refuse to be put back into that Medical Admissions Unit again, but I'm thinking about giving the hospital a call if things get any worse or don't improve by the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment